Monday, 15 October 2007

Tax all paper, reward walking!!!

The first thing you notice when saying that you are definitely going to do a post on a certain subject is how difficult it is to then write about said subject. It's probably the closest i'll ever come to writers block. So I'm going to make a list of a few things that I could blog about, have a think and then come back to it.

1) Paper should be taxed in the same way that alcohol or cigarettes are. That should prevent me having to slalom my way into the office via someone handing out random free papers, mags & fliers. It should also ensure that people think about what they're doing and the damage to the environment before they print 1 million newspapers a night (Associated Newspapers - you know who you are). There is however a bit of a flaw on this plan. Paper can be good. It makes books, which teach people to read and become educated and informed. without paper (and the printing press) the world would be a very different place. So let's impose a blanket tax on paper. Except books.

2) People should be rewarded for walking. When I take a cab to a meeting I save about 10 minutes in London (generally) - it costs about £7-8. I get a receipt and charge it to my company and then 3-4 weeks later the money appears in my account. But I could walk. It would require me to be organised and leave 10 minutes earlier but I could definitely walk. It would have the benefit of keeping me fit, allow me to get my head together before a meeting and be better for the environment. But I don't do it. Why not? Habit, lack of thought and the fact that ultimately it doesn't cost me anything. I reckon though that there has to be a way for somebody to do something positive with this thought and reward people for walking. If I could get a receipt for walking and get rewarded for that effort I would do it. Selfish isn't it? But could it actually be a workable plan? Could it be done via GPS or via scanning your mobile at certain points around London? (bit like an oyster card) - you then get rewards for walking. Could be an interesting idea? Open to abuse of course (nothing to stop you driving from one post to another if you really wanted to) but a sort of more accountable pedometer which is universally recognised and allows universal rewards (I'm making this up now slightly but there's an idea in here somewhere)

Interesting to see how companies are sort of organising something similar (see AKQA's facebook group which is a nice touch) - if everyone did one of these it could make a difference. Will start by suggesting we do one at MindShare
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12634040036

This post has been a horrendous ramble on my part (no change there then) but glad to be doing my (very small) part...

Just realised that my "list of things" is actually 2. Aah

No comments: